While the internet is necessary today, you will be astonished by the increasing number of daily users. And this also affects the shopping habits and patterns of people.
Digital marketing plays a critical and vital role in the development of the e-commerce industry. With so many online options, you must hook your audience with the right strategies and offers.
So, you cannot rely only on offline marketing to drive sales for your business when a large audience has internet exposure. So, to ensure you are updated with the current trends, we have covered every essential aspect of online marketing.
Digital Marketing: Overview
Since the COVID-19 pandemic, digital marketing has become popular today. But what makes digital marketing stand out from traditional marketing?
While there are several major and minor aspects, which we will discuss further in the article, one of the biggest perks of online marketing is the combination of global traffic and affordability, which drives up your business revenue.
Reviewing the current stage, your business must have a digital presence. While many companies opt for a website to create brand awareness and solve user intent, others rely on social media presence or online ad campaigns.
Due to the familiarity of digital marketing, today, most people expect your brand to have an online presence that is easily accessible to everyone. Additionally, online presence is an excellent way to build trust within your audience and fill the communication gap.
Nevertheless, with the scalability and flexibility of digital marketing, you can unleash your creativity and upgrade your brand’s marketing with a reasonable budget.
Types of Digital Marketing
Learning about the basics of digital marketing will always be incomplete without knowing the major aspects that are significant to the field. So here is a rundown of the essentials in online marketing!
1. Search Engine Optimization
Search Engine Optimization (SEO), is a significant building block in digital marketing, especially if your business has a website. SEO is optimizing your brand’s website to improve its visibility on a search engine page.
Improving visibility not only means that your website link appears on the browsing, but it is also necessary for you to focus on ranking higher than your competitors. Since SEO drives a lot of organic traffic to your website, your business can flourish tremendously regarding leads when performed correctly.
The standard channels that benefit from SEO are websites, blogs, and infographics. Nonetheless, we discuss efficient ways to approach SEO to generate targeted traffic towards your business’s digital presence.
- Technical SEO: Technical SEO is the foundation of your website. This means that this aspect of Search Engine Optimization deals with the backend tasks of your website, like coding. Some elements like CSS file optimization, structured data, and image compression are parts of technical SEO that help in the loading time of your website – an extremely crucial segment that contributes to the higher and better ranking of your website in search engines like Google.
- On-Page SEO: On-page SEO consists of all the uploaded content “on the page.” This means that all the visual elements, like graphics, text, etc, play a vital role in on-page SEO. To master on-page SEO, deep keyword research is a primary aspect. With the right keywords, you improve your website’s page and keyword ranking on the search engine result pages to increase traffic.
- Off-Page SEO: Off-page SEO is the process that really focu on the activities that occur outside of your website page. The most common question in people’s minds is, what external actions affect my website page? The answer is quite simple, i.e., inbound links for backlinks. To ensure that these backlinks work, you must form a network of reliable publishers, writing guest posts on the relative websites that finally contain the direct links to your website. This process helps to divert external attention, increasing the spectrum of audience landing on your homepage.
2. Social Media Marketing
Social media marketing is one of the most popular forms of digital marketing today. Social media marketing is the ideal choice if you are a small business owner or simply starting your brand with a limited budget.
Social media marketing exposes your business to a wide range of audiences, helping you to generate leads, drive traffic, and create brand awareness, all within a budget. However, the world of social media can be overwhelming for newbies. In such cases, having the right digital marketing agency can help you run campaigns and marketing projects smoothly.
Additionally, digital marketing agencies can access efficient tools that help optimize your brand profile and improve the bottom line. Here are some social media channels you can use for marketing your brand:
Other uses of social media also include influence marketing, in which you can collaborate with preferred creators and influencers to leverage their audience and reach to sell your products and services.
Moreover, creating viral campaigns and hosting giveaways can also establish a rewarding relationship with your potential clients. These are some excellent ways to build customer loyalty.
3. Content Marketing
Generating brand awareness, traffic growth, clients, and lead generation via content is what the term Content Marketing stands for. Pursuing your target audience over any platform in digital marketing can only be possible by providing them with customer-centric content.
Most people on the internet seek solutions that can make their lives easier. Whether it be a product or service, people want to know why your brand is the best at what you sell. To understand how content marketing works from a consumer’s perspective and what biases most subconsciously suffer from, check out the three most common cognitive biases in content marketing.
The aspects that are most crucial for content marketing are listed below. Even though content is a vast segment, we have handpicked the channels that can be most fruitful for businesses.
- Blog Posts: Blogs are the most popular and beneficial ways to grow organic search traffic on your page. Writing blog posts about your business niche and demonstrating your industry expertise to demographics can build reliability. Additionally, search engines like Google appreciate consistency and provide more opportunities for increasing website visitors.
- Infographics: Sometimes, you need visual content rather than write-ups, as some concepts need to be shown rather than told. Infographics are a great way to visualize content that might be difficult to comprehend in written form.
- Whitepapers And E-books: Ebooks and whitepapers are long-form content like long articles or blogs. However, the critical difference in why these channels are used is to connect with your audience on a greater level by asking them for their contact information, like email IDs, to generate future leads and connect with potential clients.
4. Affiliate Marketing
Affiliate marketing is a great and excellent way to create additional income and, in some cases, can be a source of primary cash flow. Affiliate marketing is performance-based advertising, where you must promote a brand’s product and encourage people to buy it. You get your commission when someone buys the product from your provided link.
As a business owner, this might not be an appealing option for you. However, you can use your social media presence to generate additional revenue for your business via affiliate marketing.
While affiliate marketing is a relatively new concept in influencer marketing, anyone with a potential social media presence and a devoted audience.
5. Email Marketing
Email marketing can be an excellent tool when you use it right. It is a great way to communicate with your current and future clients. Using email marketing, you can inform your clients about the latest promotions, discounts, and upcoming events for them to participate in.
Additionally, you must use cold emailing to drive an audience to your website and grow traffic. Below are some examples of how you use email marketing for your business’s website.
Ways to Use Email Marketing
- Welcome emails for new customers
- Blog, newspapers, and e-book subscriptions
- Follow-up emails to website visitors who downloaded some material
- Loyalty programs to reward customers and holiday offers
6. Inbound Marketing
While we have discussed each digital marketing channel, inbound marketing is a combined term to describe all these aspects. In inbound marketing, you can use all the above concepts to promote your brand online.
Applying inbound marketing gives you the liberty to use all the above concepts to create marketing campaigns and attract customers while keeping the customers’ benefits in mind. Never go against the customer’s benefit.
Remember that it works for your clients whenever you use a digital marketing campaign for your business. That being said, here are some examples of inbound marketing compared to traditional marketing.
Inbound Marketing vs Traditional Marketing
- Email contacts vs spamming
- Online video marketing vs commercial search-engine ads
- Blog posts/whitepapers vs pop-up ads
Inbound Marketing vs. Digital Marketing – Which is Better?
When people are introduced to inbound and digital marketing, they often get confused between both concepts. Inbound marketing is the base method of using different digital marketing assets to attract new customers and engage your existing audience.
On the other hand, digital marketing is the umbrella term used for all the marketing assets that involve digital methods of communication. In simpler words, inbound marketing is the strategy for a brand to pursue its demographic, and digital marketing is the mode of communication involved.
Most of the time, digital marketing is compared to inbound marketing. However, most people need to distinguish between inbound and outbound marketing methods. Digital outbound marketing comprises strategies that increase your reach in terms of people.
However, outbound marketing will not target a niche audience or necessarily attract potential customers. For example, you see several garnish ads on websites and applications that might be received by an audience who is not ready for it.
On the contrary, digital inbound marketing strategies will target potential clients and audiences through its online content. All the content in inbound marketing tactics is relevant to the business’s target audience and helps them benefit from it.
How Can a Digital Marketer Help Your Business?
Even though digital marketing appears to be a simple form of communication and advertisement, it is far more complex to achieve beneficial results from it. It takes a lot of time and research to stay updated with the current trends and study how social media and internet tools work.
If you are curious about developing a digital marketing strategy and want to dig deeper, check out our Digital Marketing Playbook.
So here are five reasons why a digital marketer can help you reap the benefits of online marketing without sweating over it.
1. Coming up With a Crisp Brand Strategy
In today’s fast-growing world, having a brand strategy that informs people about your products or services is not enough. Your brand’s growth needs a strategy that taps all the right buttons in the consumer’s mind.
Regular marketing surveys, planning, and proper implementation help to develop a good brand value. Build a business relationship based on trust with your audience. The three main goals of any business are to create brand awareness, improve customer relationships, and boost revenues.
A digital marketing agency has years of experience building an excellent brand strategy that works for your business. They enable you to fill the communication gap between your business and its audience. Additionally, they help you in creating an attractive and efficient website.
2. Reduced Business Expenses
The primary goal of any business is to increase the surplus of income. Hiring a digital marketing agency may be an additional expense. However, fulfilling customer expectations and building trust can be achieved on a budget with a digital marketing agency.
This is possible because digital marketing introduces your business to a much larger audience than traditional marketing will ever do. Considering the amount spent on approaching such a large audience via conventional marketing, you might procure losses rather than fuel your revenue streams.
Besides, a digital marketing agency has experts who plan the perfect marketing approach according to your business’s needs. This ensures you do not waste any time or financial resources.
3. Boost Sales by Aiming at Target Audience
One of the biggest perks of hiring a digital marketing agency is that they reach out to potential buyers. Aiming for the right audience that buys your product is essential in online marketing, as several options are available online.
By creating effective advertisements that focus on strategies and execution that help your audience and solve their problems, you can achieve a long-lasting customer base that keeps increasing every day.
A digital marketing agency will host online campaigns and promotional ads to target a demographic. They also have access to advanced analytics tools that help them track the customer’s behaviour through link visits and search categories.
Why is Digital Marketing Vital For Businesses today?
Digital marketing strategies help you reach out to a greater audience than traditional marketing will ever do. Additionally, social media presence and websites reach much faster than physical advertisements.
Moreover, you can dramatically increase your customer base by contacting the target audience online. All of this comes at a reasonable price and ensures the improvement of your company’s bottom line.
Benefits of Digital Marketing
- Cost-effective compared to outbound marketing methods
- Accelerate new customer acquisition at a large scale based on reactive interests.
- It gives you the flexibility to make strategic changes at your convenience
- Have a focused approach towards potential buyers
- Get a Competitive edge and outperform your competitors
And that’s it for today’s article. Now that you are aware of the potential that digital marketing carries, you should not delay introducing your brand to the modern world.
Digital marketing has several options for all kinds of businesses. Additionally, you can use elements like photography, animations, and videography to grab the right people’s attention. Since visuals play an essential role in the digital world, you must focus on creating content that helps your audience in several ways.
We hope this article has answered all your doubts about digital marketing. However, if you have any questions, please leave them in the comment box, and we will reply!
1. Are digital marketing agencies beneficial for small businesses?
Definitely! Since small businesses are already struggling with building a client base for their products and have limited funds to promote them, a digital marketing agency can be an affordable solution for all their marketing needs.
2. What should I consider before hiring a digital marketing agency?
Before finalizing your decision, ensure you have done a thorough background check on the company. You can also visit their website for genuine testimonials from their former clients.
3. What are the best digital marketing tools?
Some excellent digital marketing tools that can help you track your websites and social media are Google Analytics, HubSpot, UberSuggest, and Ahrefs.